LGBT Family Building Options

UMP - Image - LGBT Family Building 1

Reproductive Medicine Center (RMC) is proud to have helped many members of the LGBT community achieve their dreams of having a family.

We work with single individuals and gay and lesbian couples so all family types, regardless of marital status or sexual orientation, can have

the opportunity to become a parent. Depending on the situation, individuals or same-sex couples will need the help of a sperm donor, egg donor and/or gestational carrier. The RMC works with highly reputable agencies that can assist you in your search for an egg donor or gestational carrier. These agencies provide careful screening and uphold strict criteria for confidential egg and sperm donation.

The first step for all patients is an initial consultation with a physician to review your medical history and discuss your treatment options. For all third-party treatment options, there are strict guidelines that we follow to ensure a safe and efficient process for all involved parties. There is an extensive process that requires adherence to FDA regulations and national guidelines. This includes infectious disease testing, a physical exam with one of our physicians and psychological counseling. In accordance with national standards, and before any treatment begins, all involved parties will meet with a psychologist who has extensive experience counseling individuals seeking third-party reproduction. This consultation is intended to help parents prepare for discussions of third party reproduction in an age-appropriate way with their future child. Patients seeking a gestational carrier or known egg donor will also be asked to pursue a legal contract regarding their donor’s proposed care.

At any time we encourage you to contact our financial counselor to discuss possible insurance benefits and the overall costs associated with third-party reproduction.

Our providers have seen a slow but steady increase in the number of same-sex couples pursuing family options. Get more information here.

Options for Lesbian Women

For lesbian women, the options for family building include sperm donation and intrauterine insemination (IUI) or in vitro fertilization (IVF). Sperm can be procured from a sperm bank, or from a known sperm donor. Lesbian couples may choose to have one partner donate the egg and the other partner carry the pregnancy. In order to do this, obtaining donor sperm and utilizing in vitro fertilization is necessary. Prior to any treatment, a work-up and consultation will be completed to evaluate the likelihood of conception and recommend the most appropriate treatment.

UMP - Image - LGBT Family Building 2Options for Gay Men

Family building for gay men requires IVF with the use of an egg donor and a gestational carrier (GC). For this process, the egg donor will undergo oocyte stimulation so we can retrieve eggs. The sperm is derived from the intended parent and the eggs and sperm are fertilized in our lab to create embryos. The embryos are transferred to the uterus of the gestational carrier who will provide a nurturing environment to carry the pregnancy the full gestational period of 40 weeks. The GC is in no way biologically or genetically related to the child she is carrying.

“Traditional surrogacy” is an old term for when a woman provided the egg and the womb to carry the pregnancy. In traditional surrogacy the surrogate mother has a genetic connection to the child. She must grant parental rights of the child she is carrying to the intended parent(s). Due to the emotional and legal complexities surrounding traditional surrogacy, RMC offers gestational surrogacy only.


Third-party Reproduction: A Guide for Patients

AFA Educational Resources
The American Fertility Association’s Tool Kit Series: Hands-on content you can use about all aspects of family building.
ASRM Fact Sheet
Third-party Reproduction
Eggs, Sperm and Embryo Donation Fact Sheet

Call us for more information.
For appointments: 612-372-7050
Financial Counselor: 612-372-7020


Central Scheduling: 612.672.7422

Provider Referrals: 612.672.7000

Administrative Offices: 612.884.0600

©2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.