Compulsive Sexual Behavior
Compulsive sexual behaviors are recurrent, intense and distressing behaviors that interfere with interpersonal and intimate relationships. These behaviors are often associated with anxiety, embarrassment and shame. Both men and women suffer from compulsive sexual behavior.
Is Compulsive Sexual Behavior a Problem in Your Life?
- Do you or others who know you find that you are overly preoccupied or obsessed with sexual activity?
- Do you feel guilty or ashamed about some of your sexual activity?
- Do you find yourself constantly searching or scanning the environment for a potential sexual partner?
- Do you obsessively use pornography, phone lines or the Internet for sexual satisfaction?
- Have you had numerous love relationships that are short-lived, intense and unfulfilling?
- Do you ever find yourself sexually obsessed with someone who is not interested in you or doesn't even know you?
The first step is to contact us to schedule an evaluation. Male and female therapists are available. The evaluations are designed to give you an opportunity to discuss your concerns and needs as well as to develop an individual treatment plan.
Compulsive Sexual Behavior Therapy
We offer effective treatment for individuals to gain control over their obsessive and compulsive behavior. Treatment plans include individual psychotherapy sessions, group therapy, and family therapy. Group therapy consists of a weekly two-hour group session. The group is composed of six to eight members and is led by a therapy team consisting of a faculty member and a post-doctoral fellow. Our goals are to build positive and healthy attitudes, values, and behaviors regarding sexuality. Monthly group aftercare sessions are available once treatment is complete.
Often the partner of an individual suffering from compulsive sexual behavior is also quite distressed. We offer a short-term group, individual and couples therapy; as well as an aftercare support group to address the needs of partners.