Transgender Health Services
The Center for Sexual Health serves the special health needs of the diverse transgender community, including individuals who identify as transgender, transexual, crossdresser, bigender, drag queen, drag king, female impersonator, and their families. We welcome all of you.
- Psychological, physical, and psychiatric evaluations
- Individual, group, couple, and family psychotherapy
- Evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents
- Physical health care, including prescriptions of appropriate medications and hormones
- Recommendations for sex reassignment surgery
- Ongoing support for transgender and transexual individuals who have had sex reassignment
- Counseling for intersexuality
- Sex therapy
Sex Reassignment Services
The Center for Sexual Health offers up-to-date hormone therapy and facilitates referrals to a network of surgeons competent in breast augmentation, chest reconstruction, and genital reconstructive surgery (both male-to-female and female-to-male). Recommendations for hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery are based on the World Professional Association for Transgender Health's Standards of Care.
Consultation and Training
A wide variety of consultations are available:
- Coming out in the workplace
- Transgender sensitivity training
- Forensic assessments
- Expert witness testimony
- Seminars, lectures, and workshops
- Continuing education of health and social service providers
Transgender Therapy Groups
These groups are designed to explore gender identity and to discover a comfortable gender role. The groups are affirmative of a spectrum of gender identities and provide opportunities to learn from each other's experiences. Facilitated by a therapist, the groups meet twice a month.
Therapy for Crossdressers and Their Partners
Individual, couple, and family psychotherapy are available for those who crossdress and their partners. Therapy focuses on understanding and effectively managing the desire to crossdress. Common issues for the crossdresser are shame, secrecy, compulsivity, and fear of discovery. Common feelings of partners are shock, confusion, self-blame, anger, betrayal, fear, and acceptance. The effects of crossdressing on intimate relationships and sexual functioning are addressed.
Community Advisory Board
The Center for Sexual Health values direct community input and feedback. The Transgender Health Services are guided by a community advisory board representative of the diversity of the local transgender community.