University of Minnesota Physicians Heart specialists provide a comprehensive range of cardiothoracic surgeries to treat everything from routine cardiac conditions to end-stage heart failure. With new less-invasive techniques being developed for surgery, our goal is to achieve a balance between the least invasive procedure and the best long-term outcome.
Each day, thousands of people in the United States have heart surgery. Whether elective or urgent, the surgery that matters most is yours. When you choose University of Minnesota Physicians Heart, your surgeon will be one of the best in the country and you will be care for by exceptional staff.
Heart surgery is the treatment of choice for many conditions, including:
- Bypassing or widening blocked or narrowed arteries to the heart
- Repairing or replacing the valves that control blood flow through the heart’s chambers
- Repairing aneurysms in the aorta
- Implanting ventricular assist devices
- Replacing the damaged heart with a heart from a donor