Driven to lead and advance the practice of medicine
At University of Minnesota Physicians, our focus is on improving the lives of patients. As the multi-specialty group practice for the University of Minnesota Medical School faculty, we do this through collaborative patient care, breakthrough research and the training of tomorrow’s physicians.
As clinicians, we practice in primary care and over 100 specialty and subspecialty areas. As educators, we apply state-of-the-art knowledge to teach and mentor future physicians. As researchers, we address critical medical problems, then translate research findings into novel therapies to benefit patients.
In this environment of inquiry and education, our physicians practice academic medicine. They create innovative programs that bring together UMPhysicians specialists from a variety of disciplines. This approach offers patients comprehensive, well-coordinated care that is directly linked to innovations developed by research.
Our physicians see patients of all ages in these settings:
- Primary care clinics
- Specialty clinics
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, and University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s Hospital, both on the U of M’s Minneapolis campus
- Fairview Health Services hospitals
- Many Twin Cities and Minnesota hospitals
Unique partnership for better health care
These institutions form a partnership with UMPhysicians to combine innovative academic medicine with world-class community health care:
- University of Minnesota Medical School. one of six schools in the Academic Health Center, educates and trains the next generation of physicians and advances medicine through breakthrough research.
- Fairview Health Services. Fairview owns and operates University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview and University of Minnesota Amplatz Children's Hospital, along with a broad network of community-based hospitals and clinics.
- Other healthcare systems across the region, such as Park Nicollet Clinics, Regions Hospital, North Memorial and TRIA Orthopaedic Center.
Code of Conduct
At University of Minnesota Physicians, every employee and physician has a role to play in fostering a culture of integrity and demonstrating our values of Service, Innovation and Respect. Our Code of Conduct guides us as we demonstrate these values in our behaviors, decisions and general conduct. The Code has its foundation in our values and ties directly into our Performance Standards:
- Clinical Excellence
- Communication and Commitment to Team
History of University of Minnesota Physicians
UMPhysicians has deep roots in the University of Minnesota Medical School, which has trained physicians since 1888. In 1997, 18 separate practice groups of physicians at the University united to form University of Minnesota Physicians. UMPhysicians serves as the integrated group practice for the Medical School faculty.
Since our founding we have achieved considerable growth and major improvements to our clinical and business operations. Today UMPhysicians owns and manages more than 50 specialty clinics and five family medicine clinics.
UMPhysicians is independent and non-profit, governed by a board of directors. We employ over 780 physicians and 1,400 health professionals and staff.
Advancing medical knowledge and education is central to our mission. UMPhysicians contributes a significant portion of operating revenue to support the Medical School’s research and education priorities.