Bone and Soft Tissue Cancer Information
What are bone and soft tissue cancers? Also known as musculoskeletal or sarcoma cancers, bone and soft tissue cancers develop in the body’s connective tissue, such as:
- blood vessels
How common are they? Sarcoma cancers are relatively rare, with approximately 10,000 new cases diagnosed each year in the United States. Although rare overall, sarcoma cancers are one of the top five cancers diagnosed in children.
Are there different types of bone and soft tissue cancers? There are more than 100 varieties of sarcomas, and are identified by the type of tissue in which they begin to grow. Bone and soft tissue cancers can occur in any part of the body, but most often occur in arms, legs, abdomen, or trunk.
What does University of Minnesota Cancer Care offer? Our expert physicians treat a high volume of patients with bone and soft tissue tumors each year. Our multidisciplinary team works with patients to develop a customized treatment plan. We are continually improving treatment for patients with bone and soft tissue cancers through laboratory work, clinical research and education.
Our contribution to treating sarcomas is impressive. We were among the first to:
- develop continuous infusional ifosfamide and paclitaxel for sarcoma,
- use Gleevec for gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST),
- and to study liposomal doxorubicin, IGFR antibodies and RANKL antibodies in sarcoma.
Our program is also one of the few in the country offering RANKL antibody chemotherapy treatment for giant-cell bone tumors.
To learn more about screening, diagnosis, treatment options and after treatment care, please use the links below to find more information about each Bone & Soft Tissue cancer subtype from the National Cancer Institute.
Soft Tissue Sarcomas
- General Information About Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Stages of Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Recurrent Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Treatment Option Overview
- Treatment Options for Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Treatment Options for Recurrent Adult Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Childhood Soft Tisue Sarcoma
- Bender, Gail, MD| Medical Oncologist
- Cheng, Edward Y., MD| Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Cho, Chinsoo, MD| Radiation Oncologist
- Clohisy, Denis R, MD| Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Dusenbery, Kathryn E, MD| Radiation Oncologist
- Hamlar, Jr., David D, MD, DDS| Otolaryngologist, Craniofacial Surgeon
- Ogilvie, Christian, MD| Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Rudrapatna, Venkatesh, MD, MPH| Hematologist / Oncologist
- Shideman, Charles, MD, PhD| Radiation Oncologist
- Skubitz, Keith M, MD| Hematologist / Oncologist
- Thomas, Rebecca, MD, MH Sc| Hematologist / Oncologist
- Wang, Xin, MD, PhD| Radiation Oncologist
- Yuan, Jianling, MD| Radiation Oncologist