The number of hospitalizations for people living with advanced heart failure continues to grow. Our team is at the forefront of a generation of breakthroughs in advanced heart failure management. As leaders in innovative diagnostics, treatments and research, we are committed to bringing the science and art of medicine together to provide the best possible outcomes for patients and their families.
University of Minnesota Physicians Heart is renowned for its breakthroughs in advanced heart failure treatment and the program is one of the largest and most sophisticated in the nation. More program accomplishments include:
- We are a national leader in implanting ventricular assist devices (LVADs), implanting more than 60 LVADs each year.
- Heart failure and VAD clinical trials exploring advanced technology and medical management allow our team to remain on the cutting edge of advanced heart failure treatment options.
- The University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, is one of eight centers selected by the National Institute of Health to develop and evaluate new treatments for congestive heart failure.
Our advanced heart failure team offers a full spectrum of the most recent and promising array of treatment options and services for patients, from patients with just a few symptoms to those with advanced disease.
- Evaluation and medical treatment of advanced heart failure
- Cardiac rehabilitation
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs)
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT) and optimization
- Ablation therapy for atrial and ventricular arrhythmias
- Cardiac surgery for high-risk patients, including off-pump coronary revascularization
- Transcatheter arterial valve replacement (TAVR)
- Mitral valve repair in patients with cardiac dysfunction
- MRI imaging of the heart
- Investigational drugs and devices
- Left ventricular assist devices (LVADs)
- Cardiac transplantation
- Sirtaz Adatya, MD | Cardiologist
- Monica Colvin-Adams, MD | Cardiologist
- Peter Eckman, MD | Cardiologist
- Gary S. Francis, MD | Cardiologist
- Daniel J. Gary, MD | Cardiologist
- Cindy Martin, MD | Cardiologist
- Emil Missov, MD | Cardiologist
- Marc Pritzker, MD | Cardiologist
To schedule an appointment:
- Select "Option 1" for appointments at University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview
- Select "Option 2" for appointments at Fairview Southdale Hospital, Fairview Ridges Hospital, and all other Fairview medical centers and clinics
Use our secure online form to submit an appointment request 24/7. We will receive it and follow-up with you as soon as possible.
Physicians Referrals and Consultations
To consult with an advanced heart failure specialist, call 612.672.6000
- Select "Option 1" for an advanced heart failure specialist at University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview
- Select "Option 2" for an advanced heart failure specialist at at Fairview Southdale Hospital, Fairview Ridges Hospital, and all other Fairview medical centers and clinics
In most cases, heart failure patients are seen by our specialists within three days of referral—a contributing factor to our success in keeping patients out of the hospital and in some cases, making heart transplantation unnecessary.