Specialists from University of Minnesota Physicians Heart offer the most recent and promising array of treatment options available to people living with advanced heart failure, including heart transplant.
As leaders in innovative research, we bring the science and art of medicine together to provide the best possible care for our patients. Our 33-year-old program is one of the longest-running heart transplant centers in the world. And our survival rates are well above the national average.
Here’s why you can expect the best results from University of Minnesota Physicians Heart:
- Our experience and innovation makes it possible for most patients to leave University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview, less than two weeks after heart transplant.
- 80 percent of heart transplant patients at our center survive five years or more. Our three-, five-, 10-year survival rates are well above the national average.
- The nation's longest-living heart transplant recipient benefited from our innovative care for more than 25 years after surgery.
- Our surgeons performed the first heart transplant in Minnesota in 1978 and the state's first heart/lung transplant in 1986.
- Our program is one of a few in the country that routinely accept older heart donors and older high-risk recipients. This program gives some patients a second chance at life that they would not otherwise have.
- We are a recognized pioneer in mechanical circulatory suupport bridge to transplant clinical trials. We are one of a handful of sites in the nation approved to train surgeons in transplant state-of-the-art technologies that include some names you might recognize: Thoratec HeartMate II, Ventracor VentrAssist, HeartWare and Centra Mac.
- We are a national leader in implanting ventricular assist devices (VADs) performing about 50 VAD sugeries each year.
- Currently we perform about 20-30 heart transplants annually. This places our program among the top 10 to15 percent in the nation.
- Patients – For more information: 612-365-5000.
- Physicians – Call our physician line for consultations or referrals: 612-365-6000.
Heart Transplant program is available at:
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview
516 Delaware St. S.E., Minneapolis, MN 55455