- Brain Cancer
- Pediatric Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Center
Professor and Lyle A. French Chair,
Dr. Stephen Haines is the Lyle A. French Chair and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery. He received his M.D. degree from the University of Vermont and completed his residency in neurosurgery at the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to his appointment at the University of Minnesota, he was the Department of Neurological Surgery Chairman and a founding Co-Director of the Neuroscience Institute at the Medical University of South Carolina. He was board certified in Neurological Surgery in 1984.
Dr. Haines’ primary research interest focuses on applying advanced clinical research techniques to neurosurgery and developing resources for the evidence-based practice of neurosurgery. He is a past member of the Editorial Board of the Cochrane Stroke Group and has led his departments’ involvement in numerous clinical trials. He has published and lectured extensively on these subjects.
Improving the quality of clinical research in neurosurgery has been a consistent theme throughout Dr. Haines' career. He has documented the methodological inadequacy of much of the clinical research literature in neurosurgery and disseminated information about applying more modern and appropriate techniques. Over time, this interest has broadened, in parallel with the development of clinical epidemiology and evidence-based medicine, into applying the principles of evidence-based medicine to neurosurgery. Current work continues the emphasis on dissemination with recent publication about methods of teaching evidence-based neurosurgery to clinically active neurosurgical residents and ongoing work on a text of principles and examples of evidence-based neurosurgery, as well as promoting departmental participation in clinical trials. Future interests include developing small sample size analysis techniques and using a rigorous methodology to determine indications for and safety of neurosurgical procedures.
A second theme running through Dr. Haines' research career has been the clinical investigation of neurosurgical infection. Studies have included risk factors for neurosurgical infection, neurosurgical antibiotic prophylaxis, and the clarification of the role of propionibacter acnes in shunt infection.
- Appointed chairman of the William P. Van Wagenen Fellowship Committee of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons.
- President of the Neurosurgical Society of America
- Top Doctors, Mpls.St. Paul Magazine, 2013, 2012 editions
- Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, Harvey Cushing Society – July 2010
- University of Vermont Medical Alumni Association’s Distinguished Academic Achievement Award – 2010
- Honorary Membership, American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery – 2008
- Who's Who in America, 2004 – present
- Best Doctors in America, 2000 – present
- Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare, 1998 – present
- William P. Van Wagenen Fellowship, American Association of Neurological Surgeons, 1981
- Osbun JW, Ellenbogen RG, Chesnut RM, Chin LS, Connolly PJ, Cosgrove GR, Delashaw JB Jr, Golfinos JG, Greenlee JD, Haines SJ, Janno J, et al. A multicenter, single-blind, prospective randomized trial to evaluate the safety of a polyethylene glycol hydrogel (duraseal dura sealant system) as a dural sealant in cranial surgery. World Neurosurgery 78 (5):498-504, 2012.
- Hilton CW, Haines SJ, Agrawal A, Levine SC. Late failure rate of hearing preservation after middle fossa approach for resection of vestibular schwanoma. Otol Neurotol 32(1):132-135, 2011.
- Qureshi A, Tariq N, Vazquez G, Novitzke J, Suri MF, Lakshminarayan K, Haines SJ. Low patient enrollment sites in multicenter-randomized clinical trials of cerebrovascular diseases: Associated factors and impact on trial outcomes, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis Aug 2010, in press.
- Pluhar GE, Grogan PG, Seiler C, Haines SJ, et al. Anti-tumor immune response correlates with neurological symptoms in a dog with spontaneous astrocytoma treated by gene and vaccine therapy. Vaccine 28 (19):3371-3378, 2010.
- Haines SJ. Editorial: How to choose your neurosurgeon. Pract Neurol 10:2-3, 2010.
- Nnebe NV, Woon C, Haines S, Dayton V, Weigel B. Brief Report: Cutaneous pseudolymphomas: An unusual presentation of a scalp mass. Pediatr Blood Cancer 52(2):283-285, 2009.
- Nicholas JS, Haines SJ et al. Use and determinants of the methylprednisolone protocol for traumatic spinal cord injury in South Carolina acute care hospitals. Journal of Trauma, 66(5):1446-50, 2009.
- Ulloth JE, Haines SJ. Acupuncture needle causing lumbar cerebrospinal fluid fistula: Case Report. J. Neurosurg: Spine 6: 567-579, 2007.
- Haines SJ. Shunt infection. J Neurosurg 106:((1 Suppl):13-4, 2007.
- Chang S, Vogelbaum M, Lang, F, Haines S, Kunwar S, et al. GNOSIS: Guidelines for neuro-oncology: Standards for investigational studies—reporting of surgically based therapeutic clinical trials. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 82(2): 211-20, 2007.
- Haines, SJ. Bioinformatics in medical practice. Neurosurgical Focus Vol 19: 2005.
- Hanley, D, Gorelick PB, Elliott WJ, Broder MS, Saver JL, Kidwell CS, Fagan SC, Wilson A, Lennihan L, Schwer WA, Rubenstein LZ, Crowell RM, Haines SJ, Lopez CC, Zorowitz R, Dubois RW. Determining the appropriateness of selected surgical and medical management options in recurrent stroke prevention: A guideline for primary care physicians from the National Stroke Association Work Group on recurrent stroke prevention. J Stroke and Cerebro Dis 13(5):196-207, 2004.
- Haines, SJ, Chittum, CJ. Which operation for trigeminal neuralgia? Practical Neurology, 3:30-35, 2003.
- Haines SJ, Nicholas JS. Teaching evidence-based medicine to surgical subspecialty residents. J Am Coll Surg, 197(2): 285-289, 2003. Abstract (HTML) Full Text (PDF)
- Hopkins,T, Haines, SJ.. Rapid development of Chiari-I malformation in an infant with Seckel syndrome and craniosynostosis. J Neurosurg 98:1113-1115, 2003.
- Haines, SJ. Evidence-based medicine in neurosurgery. Contemporary Neurosurgery 25(8):1-6, April 2003.
- Haines, SJ. Evidence-based Neurosurgery. Neurosurgery 52(1): 36-47, 2003. Abstract (HTML) Full Text (PDF)
- Haines SJ, Nyman JA, Jordan N, Lindgren BR, Boen, JR, Oldridge, NB. Discectomy strategies for lumbar disc herniation: Results of the LAPDOG trial. J Clin Neuroscience 9: 411-417, 2002. Abstract (HTML) Full Text (PDF)
- Haines SJ, Nyman JA, Jordan N, Lindgren BR, Boen, JR, Oldridge, NB. Discectomy strategies for lumbar disc herniation: Study design and implications for clinical research. J Clin Neuroscience 9: 440-446. 2002 Abstract (HTML) Full Text (PDF)
- Haines SJ. Moving targets and ghosts of the past: outcome measurement in brain tumour therapy. J Clin Neuroscience 9:109-112, 2002. Abstract (HTML) Full Text (PDF)
- Washington EC, Holmes M, Haines SJ, Ringwood JW. Ventriculoperitoneal shunt migration presenting with vaginal discharge and hydrosalpinx in a 16-year-old patient. Pediatric Emergency Care 18:28-30, 2002. Full Text (PDF)
- Sackeim HA, Rush AJ, George MS, Marangell LB, Husain MM, Nahas Z, Johnson CR, Seidman S, Giller C, Haines SJ, Simpson RK, Goodman RR. Vagus nerve stimulation (VNSTM) for treatment-resistant depression: Efficacy, side effects, and predictors of outcome. Neuropsychopharmacology 25:713-728, 2001.
- Haines SJ. Proof before practice: The practice of neurosurgery must change to thrive. Clin Neurosurg 48(13):181-190, 2001.
- Haines SJ. History of randomized clinical trials in neurosurgery. Neurosurg Clin N Am 12:211-216, 2001. Abstract (HTML)
- Haase KK, Lapointe M, Haines SJ. Aseptic meningitis after intraventricular administration of gentamicin. A Case Report. Pharmacotherapy 21:103-107, 2001.
- Jaisinghani VJ, Levine SC, Nussbaum E, Haines S, Lindgren B. Hearing preservation after acoustic neuroma surgery. Skull Base Surg 2000; 10(3):141-7.
- Rock, JP, Haines, SJ, Recht,L, Bernstein, M, Sawaya, R, Mikkelsen, T, Loeffler, J. Practice parameters for the management of single brain metastasis. Neurosurg Focus 9:1-9, 2000.
- Rush AJ, George MS, Sackeim HA, Marangell LB, Husain MM, Giller C, Nahas Z, Haines S, Simpson RK Jr, Goodman R. Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS) for treatment-resistant depressions: a multicenter study. Biol Psychiatry 47:276-286, 2000.
- Esce PG. Haines, SJ. Acute treatment of spinal cord injury. Current Science 2:517-524, 2000. Abstract (HTML)
- Osenbach RK, Haines SJ. Spinal cord stimulation for the treatment of refractory angina pectoris. Crit Rev Neurosurg 9:394-406, 2000.
- Kestle J, Drake J, Milner R, Sainte-Rose C, Cinalli G, Boop F, Piatt J, Haines S, Schiff S, Cochrane D, Steinbok P, MacNeil N. Long-term follow-up data from the shunt design trial. Pediatr Neurosurg 33:230-236, 2000.
- Haines SJ. Surgical or radiosurgical treatment for brain metastases? Opportunity lost, responsibility shirked. Clin Neurosurg 45:30-31, 1999.
- Berryhill WE, Rimell FL, Ness J, Marentette L, Haines SJ. Fate of rigid fixation in pediatric craniofacial surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 121(3):269-273, 1999. Abstract (HTML)
- Haines SJ, LaPointe M. Fibrinolytic agents in the management of posthemorrhagic hydrocephalus in preterm infants: The evidence. Child’s Nerv Syst 15:226-234, 1999.
- Patel SJ, Spicer K, Van Tassel P, Gordon L, Chergey A, Haines SJ. Results in a dose-escalating trial of intra-tumoral infusion with I-131/ch-TNT-1/B in the treatment of recurrent malignant glioma. Neuro-Oncology 1:S111, 1999.
- Jean WC, Keene CD, Haines SJ. Cervical arachnoid cysts after craniocervical decompression for chiari II malformations: Report of three cases. Neurosurg, 43(4):941-945, 1998.
- Haines, SJ, Lapointe M. Fibrinolytic agents in the treatment of intraventricular hemorrhage in adults. Crit Rev in Neurosurg 8:169-175, 1998.
- Drake JM, Kestle JR, Milner R, Cinalli G, Boop F, Piatt, J, Haines, SJ, Schiff, SJ, Cochrane DD, Steinbok P, MacNeil N. Randomized trial of cerebrospinal fluid shunt valve design in pediatric hydrocephalus. Neurosurg, 43(2):294-303, 1998.
- Malis LI, Ruberti RF, Kaufman AB, Kanpolat Y, Peter JC, Haines SJ, Blanot S, Cinalli G, Meyer P, Pierre-Kahn A. Intraoperative antibiotic prophylaxis. Surg Neur 47(5):481-483, 1997.
- Haines SJ. How do you know? Clinical Neurosurgery 44(1):1-15, 1997.
- Jung TM, TerKonda, RP, Haines SJ, Strome S, Marentette LJ. Outcome analysis of the transglabellar/subcranial approach for lesions of the anterior cranial fossa: A comparison with the classic craniotomy approach. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 116(6 Pt 1):642-646, 1997.
- Hite SH, Krivit W, Haines SJ, Whitley CB. Syringomyelia in mucopolysaccharidosis type VI (Maroteaux-Lamay Syndrome): Imaging findings following bone marrow transplantation. Ped Radiol 27(9):736-738, 1997.
- Sanan A, Haines SJ. Repairing holes in the head: A history of cranioplasty. Neurosurg 40:588-603, 1997.
- PEDIATRIC HYDROCEPHALUS TREATMENT EVALUATION GROUP: Determining the best cerebrospinal fluid shunt valve design: The pediatric valve design trial. Neurosurg 38:604-607, 1996.
- Jean WC, Haines SJ. Malignant meningiomas: New technique in diagnosis and predicting outcome. Crit Rev in Neurosurg 6(2):97-105, 1996.
- Haines SJ, Olson NP. Standards, guidelines, and options in neurosurgery. Crit Rev in Neurosurg 6:47-51, 1996.
- Soumekh B, Levine SC, Haines SJ, Wulf JA. A retrospective study of post-craniotomy headaches in suboccipital approach: Diagnosis and management. Am J Otology 17(4):617-619, 1996.
- Haines SJ, Camarata PJ, Finn M, Poss T. Prototype instruments for endoscopic microsurgery: Technical Note. Minim. Invas. Neurosurg 38:167-169, 1995.
- Schlauch RS, Levine S, Li Y, Haines SJ. Evaluating hearing threshold differences between ears as a screen for acoustic neuroma. J Speech and Hearing Res 38:1168-1175, 1995.
- Sanan A, Haines SJ, Nyberg SL, Leonard AS. Knotted bowel: small-bowel obstruction from coiled peritoneal shunt catheters. Report of two cases. J Neurosurg 82:146-148, 1995.
- Kennedy JD, Haines SJ. Review of skull base approaches: with special reference to pediatric patients. J Neuroonc 20(3):291-312, 1994.
- Haines SJ, Walters BC. Antibiotic prophylaxis for cerebrospinal fluid shunts: A metanalysis. Neurosurgery 34:87-92, 1994.
- Haines SJ, Levine SC. Intracanalicular acoustic neuroma: Early surgery for preservation of hearing. J Neurosurg 79:515-520, 1993.
- Blount JP, Haines SJ. Complications in ventricular cerebrospinal fluid shunting. Neurosurg Clin N America 4(4):633-656, 1993.
- Mollman DH, Haines SJ. Primary pontine hemorrhagic events - hemorrhage or hematoma? Surgical or conservative management? Neurosurg Clin N America 4:481-496, 1993.
- Haines SJ, Walters BC. Proof of equivalence. The inference of statistical significance. “Caveat emptor”. Neurosurg 33(3): 432-433, 1993.
- Chung Y, Haines SJ. Experimental brain stem surgery. Neurosurg Clin N America 4(3):405-414, 1993.
- Morcos JJ, Haines SJ. History of brain stem surgery. Neurosurg Clin N America 4(3):357-365, 1993.
- Winzenburg SM, Margolis RH, Levine SC, Haines SJ, Fournier EM. Tympanic and transtympanic electrocochleography in acoustic neuroma and vestibular nerve section surgery. Am J Otolaryng 14(1):63-69, 1993.
- Nida TY, Haines SJ. Multiloculated hydrocephalus: Craniotomy and fenestration of intraventricular septations. J Neurosurg 78(1):70-76, 1993.
- Shah MV, Haines SJ. Pediatric skull, skull base, and meningeal tumors. Neurosurg Clin of No Am. 3(4):893-924, 1992.
- Haines SJ, Marentette LJ, Wirtschafter JD. Extended fronto-orbital approaches to the anterior cranial base: Variations on a theme. Skull Base Surgery 2:134-141, 1992.
- Wen DY, Bottini AG, Hall WA, Haines SJ. Infections in neurologic surgery. The intraventricular use of antibiotics. Neurosurg Clin N America, 3(2):343-354, 1992.
- Wen DY, Seljeskog EL, Haines SJ. Microsurgical management of craniopharyngiomas. Br J of Neurosurgery 6(5):467-474, 1992.
- Haines SJ. Antibiotic prophylaxis in neurosurgery: The controlled trials. Neurosurg Clin N America 3(2):355-358, 1992.
- Camarata PJ, Parker RG, Park SK, Haines SJ, Turner DA, Chae H, Ebner TJ. Effects of MPTP-induced hemiparkinsonism on the kinematics of a two dimensional, multijoint arm movement in the rhesus monkey. Neuroscience, 48(3):607-619, 1992.
- Berman EL, Chu A, Wirtschafter JD, Cameron JD, Manivel C, Duvall AJ, Haines SJ. Esthesioneuroblastoma presenting as sudden unilateral blindness: Histopathologic confirmation of optic nerve demyelination. J Clin Neuro-ophthalmology, 12(1):31-36, 1992.
- Bergman TA, Haines SJ. Subependymoma of the cervical spinal cord: A case report of long-term survival. Minnesota Medicine, 74(11):21-24, 1991.
- Levine S, Antonelli PJ, Le CT, Haines SJ. The relative value of diagnostic tests for small acoustic neuromas. Am J of Otology, 12(5):341-345, 1991.
- Wen DY, Hardten DR, Wirtschafter JD, Sung JH, Haines SJ. Elevated intracranial pressure from cerebral venous obstruction by Masson's vegetant intravascular hemangioendothelioma. Case report. J Neurosurgery 75(5):787-790, 1991.
- Friehs GM, Parker RG, He LS, Haines SJ, Turner DA, Ebner TJ. Lesioning of the striatum reverses motor asymmetry in the 6-hydroxydopamine rodent model of parkinsonism. J Neural Transplantation and Plasticity 2(2):141-156, 1991.
- Coad JE, Wirtschafter JD, Haines SJ, Heros RC, Perrone T. Familial hemifacial spasm associated with arterial compression of the facial nerve, J Neurosurgery 74(2):290-296, 1991.
- Haines SJ, Torres F. Intraoperative monitoring of the facial nerve during decompressive surgery for hemifacial spasm. J Neurosurgery 74(2):254-257, 1991.
- Haines SJ, Berger MS. Current treatment of Chiari malformations types I and II - A survey of the Pediatric Section of the AANS, Neurosurgery 28(3):353-357, 1991.
- Turner DA, Tracy J, Haines SJ. Risk of late stroke and survival following carotid endarterectomy procedures for symptomatic patients, J Neurosurgery 73(2):193-200, 1990.
- Camarata PJ, McGeachie R, Haines SJ. Dorsal midbrain encephalitis caused by propionibacterium acnes. J Neurosurgery 72(4):654-659, 1990.
- Wen DY, Bergman TA, Haines SJ. Acute cervical myelopathy from hereditary multiple exostoses: Case report. Neurosurgery 25(3):472-475, 1989.
- Haines SJ. Efficacy of antibiotic prophylaxis in clean neurosurgical operations. Neurosurgery 24(3):401 405, 1989.
- Haines SJ. The art and science of evaluating neurosurgical treatment. Clinical Neurosurgery 35:45 458, 1989.
- Haines SJ, Erickson DL, Wirtschafter JD. Optic nerve decompression for osteopetrosis in early childhood. Neurosurgery 23(4):470 475, 1988.
- Haines SJ. Decerebrate posturing misinterpreted as seizure activity. Am J of Emerg Med 6(2):173 177, 1988.
- Albright AL, Haines SJ, Taylor FH. Function of parietal and frontal shunts in childhood hydrocephalus. J Neurosurgery 69(6):883 886, 1988.
- Bergman TA, Rockswold GL, Haines SJ, Ford S. Outcome of severe head injury in the Midwest: A review and comparison with other major head trauma studies. Minnesota Medicine 70(7):397 401, 1987.
- Moss SD, Haines SJ, Leonard AS, Dehner LP: Congenital supra and infratentorial peripheral neurogenic tumor: a clinical, ultrastructural and immunohistochemical study. Neurosurgery 19(3):426 433, 1986.
- Mollman HD, Haines SJ. Risk factors for postoperative neurosurgical wound infection. J Neurosurg 64(6):902 906, 1986.
- Haines SJ. Antibiotic prophylaxis in neurosurgery. Clinical Neurosurgery 33:633 642, 1986.
- Haines SJ, Jung T.T.K. Hearing preservation in acoustic neuroma. Minnesota Med 68(11):825 827, 1985.
- Haines SJ, Haines GL. Exploring the normal myelogram: an historical perspective. Minnesota Med 68(7):529 532, 1985.
- Haines SJ. The chymopapain clinical trials. Neurosurgery 17(1):107 110, 1985.
- Deutschman CS, Haines SJ. Anticonvulsant prophylaxis in neurosurgery. Neurosurgery 17(3):510 517, 1985.
- VanderArk GD, Haines SJ. Prevention of neurosurgical wound infections. Contemporary Neurosurgery 6.2:1 5, 1984.
- Nagib MG, Haines SJ, Erickson DL, Mastri AR. Tuberous sclerosis: A review for the neurosurgeon. Neurosurgery 14(1):93 98, 1984.
- UK TIA STUDY GROUP: Variation in the use of angiography and carotid endarterectomy by neurologists in the UK TIA aspirin trial. Brit Med J 286:514 517, 1983.
- Haines SJ. Randomized clinical trials in neurosurgery. Neurosurgery 12(3):259 264, 1983.
- Haines SJ. Topical antibiotic prophylaxis in neurosurgery. Neurosurgery 11(2):250 253, 1982.
- Haines SJ, Goodman M. Antibiotic prophylaxis of postoperative neurosurgical wound infection. J Neurosurg 56(1):103 105, 1982.
- Haines SJ, Taylor F. Prophylactic methicillin for shunt operations: Effects on incidence of infection and malfunction. Child's Brain 9(1):10 22, 1982.
- Heros R, Worley P, Moossy J, Dujovny M, Haines S. Revascularization in the gerbil stroke model: Its influence on survival and the incidence of hemorrhagic infarction. J Cerebr Blood Flow and Metab 1, Suppl. 1:S200 S201, 1981.
- Haines SJ. Six statistical suggestions for surgeons. Neurosurgery 9:414 418, 1981.
- Haines SJ. Systemic antibiotic prophylaxis in neurological surgery. Neurosurgery 6(4):355 361, 1980.
- Haines SJ, Jannetta PJ, Zorub DS. Microvascular relations of the trigeminal nerve: an anatomic study with clinical correlation. J Neurosurg 52(3):381 386, 1980.
- Maroon JC, Haines SJ, Phillips JG. Calvarial hemangioendothelioma with intracranial hemorrhage: case report. Neurosurgery 4(2):178 180, 1979.
- Haines, SJ, Martinez AJ, Jannetta PJ. Arterial cross compression of the trigeminal nerve at the pons. Case report with autopsy findings. J Neurosurg 50(2):257-259, 1979.
- Haines SJ. Randomized clinical trials in the evaluation of surgical innovation. J Neurosurg 51(1):5 11, 1979.
- Dujovny M, Kossovsky N, Kossovsky R, Haines S, Maroon J. Heifitz clip failure. A metallurgical study. J Neurosurg 50(3):368 373, 1979.
- Haines SJ. Dysphasia medicus multisyllabatorum: A new iatrogenic disease. J Irrep Results 23:21 22, 1978.
- Haines SJ, Maroon JC, Jannetta PJ. Supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage following posterior fossa surgery. J Neurosurg 49(6):881 886, 1978.
- Haines SJ, Walters BC, eds. Evidence-Based Neurosurgery: An Introduction. Thieme Medical Publishing, pp 237, 2006.
- Committee on Post Market Surveillance of Pediatric Medical Devices, Safe Medical Devices for Children, The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Washington Academies Press, Washington, DC, 2006.
- Cohen AR, Haines SJ, eds. Minimally invasive techniques in neurosurgery, Concepts in Neurosurgery, Vol.7, Williams & Wilkins, pp 286, 1995.
- Haines SJ, Heros RC, eds. Brain stem surgery, Neurosurgical Clinics of North America, W.B. Saunders, pp 357-598, 1993.
- Haines SJ, Hall WA, eds. Infections in neurological surgery, Neurosurgical Clinics of North America, W. B. Saunders, pp 259-496, 1992.
Invited Book Chapters
- Garton H, Barker II, F, Haines SJ. Neurosurgical epidemiology and outcomes assessment, in Youman’s Neurological Surgery, 6th ed., H. Richard Winn, editor, Elsevier Saunders, Chapter 11, pp. 183-202, 2011.
- Kainth K, Hunt M, Haines SJ. Use and misuse of antibiotics, in Youman’s Neurological Surgery, 6th ed, H. Richard Winn, editor, Elsevier Saunders, Chapter 42. pp 578-587. 2011.
- Qureshi AI, Tariq N, Qaiser R, Newton HB, Haines SJ. Intracranial and head and neck tumors: embolization and chemotherapy, in Textbook of Interventional Neurology, ed. Adnan I. Qureshi, Cambridge University Press, Chapter 16. 2011.
- Drygas J. Haines SJ. Ventriculoatrial shunting, in Operative Atlas 2E: Pediatric Neurosurgery, eds. James T. Goodrich, Thieme Medical Publishers, Chapter 6, pp 34-39, 2007.
- Haines SJ. Evidence-based Neurosurgery in Practice: Blending Art and Science in Haines SJ, Walters BC, eds. Evidence-Based Neurosurgery: An Introduction. Thieme Medical Publishing, pp. 227-230, 2006.
- Walters BC, Haines SJ. Infection in Neurosurgery in Haines SJ, Walters BC, eds. Evidence-Based Neurosurgery: An Introduction. Thieme Medical Publishing, pp. 17-36, 2006.
- Haines SJ, Nicholas JS. A Conceptual Framework in Haines SJ, Walters BC, eds. Evidence-Based Neurosurgery: An Introduction. Thieme Medical Publishing, pp. 1-16. 2006.
- Hebb AO, Haines SJ. Assessing Surgical Innovation. In: Schmidek & D.W. Roberts (eds). Schmidek and Sweet Operative Neurosurgical Techniques: Indications, Methods, and Results, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier, pp. 3-12, 2006.
- Haines SJ, Blount JP. The Regulatory History of Cerebrospinal Fluid Shunts for Hydrocephalus, in Safe Medical Devices for Children, Institute of Medicine of the National Academies, Marilyn J. Field and Hugh Tilson, eds., pp. 347-381, The National Academies Press, Washington, DC., 2006.
- Patel SJ, Haines, SJ. Chordomas and chondrosarcomas in children, in Chordomas and Chondrosarcomas, eds. Griffith Harsh et al. Thieme, New York, NY, 2005.
- Patel SJ, Haines SJ. Fibrous Dysplasia, osteopetrosis and ossifying fibroma fibrous dysplasia, osteopetrosis and ossifying fibroma. In: Fessler RG, Sekhar LN, ed. Atlas of Neurosurgical Techniques. New York: Thieme,2002.
- McCutcheon T, LaPointe M, Osenbach RK, Haines SJ: Choice of antibiotics in the prophylaxis and treatment of common neurosurgical problems, in Textbook of Neurological Surgery, eds. H Batjer and C Loftus. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, Vol 4, pp 3098-3107, 2002.
- Patel SJ, Wen DYK, Haines SJ. Posterior Fossa: Surgical considerations, in Anesthesia and Neurosurgery, 4th edition. Chapter 16, eds. JE Cotrell and DS Smith. Mosby, New York, NY 2001
- Haines, SJ: Choice of Study Design for Neurosurgeons, Neurosurgery, The Scientific Basis of Clinical Practice, 3rd edition, eds. A Crockard, R Hayward and JT Hoff. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, ENG, Vol(2):83, pp 1292-1301, 2000.
- Haines, SJ: Principles, Limitations and Uses of Statistics, Neurosurgery, The Scientific Basis of Clinical Practice, 3rd edition, A Crockard, R Hayward and JT Hoff. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, ENG, Vol(2):82, pp 1278-1291, 2000.
- Lapointe M, Haines SJ, Landesman S. Basic principles of antimicrobial therapy of CNS infections, in Head Injury, 4th edition, eds. P. R. Cooper and J. Golfinos. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, Chapter 19, pp 483-497, 2000.
- Haines SJ. Shunt Infections, in Principles and Practice of Pediatric Neurosurgery, eds. A. Leland Albright, I. F. Pollack and P. David Adelson. Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, NY, Chapter, pp. 1177-1185, 1999.
- Haines SJ, Camarata PJ, Poss T, et al. Experimental Neuroendoscopy, in Endoscopy of the Central and Peripheral Nervous System, eds. Antonio A.F. DeSalles and John Frazee. Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers, NY, NY, pp. 237-242.
- McCutchen TM, Haines SJ. Surgical Prophylaxis, in Infections in Neurosurgery, eds. Walter A. Hall and Ian E. McCutcheon. AANS, pp. 111-123. 1999.
- Haines SJ, Camarata PJ, vanden Hoek J, Finn MA. Experimental Neuroendoscopy, in Endoscopy of the Central and Peripheral Nervous System, eds. Wesley King, John Frazee, Antonio DeSalles. Theime Medical Pub., pp. 237 – 242, 1997.
- Haines SJ, Levine S. Middle fossa approach for acoustic neuroma, in Techniques in Neurosurgery, eds. Christopher Loftus and H. Hunt Batjer. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, PA, Vol. 3(2), pp. 143-149, 1997.
- Haines SJ. The role of clinical trials and outcomes research in cerebrovascular practice in Cerebrovascular Disease, ed. H. Hunt Batjer. Lippincott-Raven Publishers, NY, pp. 1213-1218, 1996.
- Haines SJ. The art and science of clinical research in Neurosurgery, 2nd ed. Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS, eds. McGraw Hill, New York, pp. 4227-4229, 1996.
- Blount JB, Haines SJ. Shunt infections, in Youman's Jr, ed. Neurological Surgery, 4th Edition, W.B. Saunders, Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1996, Chapter, pp. 945-966, 1996.
- Sebring LA, Nussbaum EA, Haines SJ. Scalp and skull infection, in Practice of Neurosurgery, G.T. Tindall, D.L. Barrow and P.R. Cooper, eds. Williams & Wilkins, pp. 3377-3384, 1996.
- Nussbaum EA, Sebring LA, Haines SJ. Neurosurgical antibiotic prophylaxis, in The Practice of Neurosurgery, G.T. Tindall, P.R. Cooper, and D.L. Barrow, eds. Williams & Wilkins, pp. 293-300, 1996.
- Wen DY, Haines SJ. Posterior fossa: Surgical considerations, in Anesthesia and Neurosurgery, 3rd Edition, J.E. Cottrell and D.S. Smith, eds. Mosby Year Book, St. Louis, MO, pp. 323-338. 1994.
- Haines SJ, Duvall AJ. Transzygomatic and transpalatal excision of juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma with intracranial extension: The surgical procedure in Surgery of Cranial Base Tumors: A Color Atlas, Laligam Sekhar and Ivo P. Janacek, eds. Raven Press, New York, NY, pp. 477-484. 1993.
- Haines SJ, Cox CM. Numeracy and statistics - uses and limitations, in Neurosurgery: Scientific Basis of Clinical Practice, H. Alan Crockard and Julian T. Hoff, eds. Blackwell Scientific Publishers Ltd., Boston, MA, pp. 975-993, 1992.
- Duvall AJ, Haines SJ, McGeachie RE. Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma in Otolaryngology, Vol.2, Chapter 59, J.B. Lippincott Co., Philadelphia, PA, 1991.
- Haines SJ, Duvall AJ. Transzygomatic and transpalatal excision of juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma with intracranial extension: Rationale, in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Head and Neck, Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium, Fred J. Stucker, ed. B.C. Decker, Inc., Toronto, ON, Chapter 101, pp. 505-509, 1991.
- Haines SJ, Mampalam T, Rosenblum ML, Nagib MG. Cranial and intracranial bacterial infections in Youmans, JR, ed. Neurological Surgery, 3rd Edition. WB Saunders, Co., Philadelphia, pp. 3707-3735, 1990.
- Camarata PJ, Haines SJ. Ventriculoatrial Shunting in AANS Atlas and Fascicles, Setti Rengachary, ed. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, pp. 247-255, 1989.
- Haines SJ, Chou SN. Infections of the scalp and osteomyelitis of the skull in Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS, ed. Neurosurgery. McGraw Hill, New York, pp 1964 1967, 1985.
- Haines SJ. Prophylactic Antibiotics in Wilkins RH, Rengachary SS, ed. Neurosurgery. McGraw Hill, New York, pp 448 452, 1985.
- Haines SJ. Are antifibrinolytic agents useful after subarachnoid hemorrhage? in Warlow CP, Garfield J, ed. Dilemmas in the Management of the Neurological Patient. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 74 85, 1983. Pinkus RL, Haines SJ. Rights of children in medical research in Hiller MD, ed. Medical Ethics and the Law: Implications for Public Policy. Ballinger Publishing Co., Cambridge, MA, pp 421 430, 1981.
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Skull-base surgery
- Acoustic neuroma
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Hemifacial spasm
- Benign intracranial tumors
- Spina bifida
University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, VT
Neurological Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Oxford University – University Department of Clinical Neurology (Clinical Trials)
Leadership for Physician Executives, Harvard Medical School, Boston MA, April 3-8, 2011
Nucleus Auditory Brainstem Implant System Course, House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, CA Nov, 2008
Introduction to Radiosurgery-Cranial and Spine Applications, BrainLAB Academy, Chicago, IL Jan, 2008
Complications and Outcomes Endoscopy Course, Grandview Lodge, Nisswa, MN, August 2007
Blood Brain Barrier Training , Oregon Health & Science University, Portland OR, July 2007
University of Pittsburgh, Center for Skull Base Surgery, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery Advanced Course
University of Pittsburgh, Gamma Knife Radiosurgery, Center for Image Guided Neurosurgery
University of Pittsburgh, Center for Skull Base Surgery, Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery
Presbyterian Institute of Minimally Image Guided Spinal Surgery Invasive Therapy, Dallas, TX (BrainLab Spine Masters)
Sarasota Memorial Hospital, Kyphoplasty Training, 2002
Harvard School of Public Health, Advanced Course for Chairs of Clinical Department, Boston, MA, 2000
American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC), Program for Department Chairs, 1998
Harvard School of Public Health, Course for Chairs of Clinical Departments, Boston, MA, 1998
Radionics Stereotactic Radiosurgery Training Course, Boston, MA, 1996
Orthopedic Learning Center, Spinal Endoscopy, Minneapolis, MN, 1993
Cincinnati and Phoenix Children's Hospitals (Boston), Introduction to Neuroendoscopy, 1991
1991 Mayfield Neurological Institute, Use of Lasers in Endoscopic Neurosurgery
1990 UCLA, Cranial Base Surgery Workshop
1988 University of Utah, BRW Image Guided Stereotactic Workshop
1988 Delray Community Hospital, Florida, Automated Percutaneous Discectomy Workshop
1986 University of Minnesota/Midas Rex Institute, Pneumatic Instrumentation Workshop
1983 University of Tennessee, Neurosurgery Laser Workshop
1983 AANS/AAOS, Chicago, IL, Intradiscal Therapy Course
- Mpls.St. Paul Magazine Top Doctors 2012
- Best Doctors in America® (2004-2010, 2011 – 2012, 2013)
- Patients' Choice Award, 2008 – 2009
- Elected honorary member, American Society of Pediatric Neurosurgeons (ASPN), 2008