- Genitourinary Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
Associate Professor and Vice Chair, Director of Reconstructive Urology, Fellowship Director, Genitourinary Trauma and Reconstruction
Dr. Elliott is an Associate Professor, Vice Chair of Urology and Director of Reconstructive Urology at the University of Minnesota. He directs a fellowship in Genitourinary Trauma and Reconstruction and the Urology Clinic at Gillette Lifetime Specialty Healthcare. He received his M.D. at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas and completed a urology residency and fellowship in Genitourinary Trauma and Reconstruction at the University of California-San Francisco. He earned a Master’s of Science in Health Services Research at the University of Minnesota and completed the program in leadership Development for Physicians in Academic Health Centers at Harvard University’s School of Public Health.
Dr. Elliott’s clinical interests include urethral stricture disease, male urinary incontinence, urinary diversion, male genital reconstruction and neurogenic bladder including the long-term bladder management of people with spina bifida or spinal cord injury. He directs a clinical and research fellowship in Genitourinary Trauma and Reconstruction, with the goal of training future leaders in this field.
Dr. Elliott is board certified in urology and a member of the American Urologic Association. He is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is a member of the Board of Directors and serves as Secretary-Treasurer of the Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons, the leading academic and clinical forum for reconstructive urology. In this role, he directs the day-to-day activities of the society and guides the Society’s long-term vision.
Dr. Elliott is a founding member of the Trauma and Urinary Reconstructive Network of Surgeons (TURNS). University of Utah is one of 8 centers that collaborate in the study of patients treated for a variety of conditions in trauma and reconstructive urology. This network is designed to collect centralized data and provide sophisticated analysis of both surgical and patient reported outcomes from urethral stricture surgery, male incontinence and a variety of other conditions. This type of collaborative research effort is essential to moving forward outcome research that is increasingly important in modern medicine.
Dr. Elliott directs a urologic surgery outcomes research group at the University of Minnesota. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health, the Gillette Children’s Foundation and the American Cancer Society. His group seeks to improve the delivery of urologic care, particularly in 4 areas: (1) benign prostatic hyperplasia, (2) urethral stricture disease, (3) neurogenic bladder secondary to spina bifida, cerebral palsy or spinal cord injury, and (4) reducing complications of radiation or surgery for the treatment for prostate and cervical cancer.
IMRT and Clinical Characteristics
- Table 1. Comparison of Demographic and Clinical Characteristics in conformal radiotherapy- vs. IMRT-treated men.
- Table 2. Multivariable logistic regression model with the outcome being the odds ratio of receiving IMRT vs. conformal radiotherapy.
The Journal of Urology - "Bias Due to Missing SEER Data in D'Amico Risk Stratification of Prostate Cancer"
1. Lowentritt BH, Scardino PT, Miles BJ, Orejuela FJ, Schatte EC, Slawin KM, Elliott SP, Kim ED. Sildenafil citrate after radical retropubic prostatectomy. J UROL. 1999 Nov; 162(5):1614-7. PubMed PMID: 10524880
2. Elliott SP, Orejuela F, Hirsch IH, Lipshultz LI, Lamb DJ, Kim ED. Testis biopsy findings in the spinal cord injured patient. J UROL. 2000 Mar; 163(3):792-5. PubMed PMID: 10687979
3. Meng MV, Anwar HP, Elliott SP, Stoller ML. Pure laparoscopic enterocystoplasty. J UROL. 2002 Mar; 167(3):1386. PubMed PMID: 11832740
4. Elliott SP, Meng MV, Anwar HP, Stoller ML. Complete laparoscopic ileal cystoplasty. Urology. 2002 Jun;59(6):939-43. PubMed PMID: 12031386
5. Elliott SP, Shinohara K, Logan SL, Carroll PR. Sextant prostate biopsies predict side and sextant site of extracapsular extension of prostate cancer. JUrol. 2002 Jul;168(1):105-9. PubMed PMID: 12050501.
6. Elliott SP, McAninch JW, Kane CK. The buccal mucosa graft in bulbar urethral reconstruction. AM J UROL REVIEW. 2003 Jan; 1(1). PubMed PMID: 12686826
7. Elliott SP, Metro MJ, McAninch JW. Long-term follow up of the ventrally placedbuccal mucosa onlay graft in bulbar urethral reconstruction. J Urol. 2003May;169(5):1754-7. PubMed PMID: 12686826.
8. Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Ureteral injuries from external violence: the25-year experience at San Francisco General Hospital. J Urol. 2003 Oct;170(4 Pt1):1213-6. Review. PubMed PMID: 14501727.
9. Elliott SP and McAninch JW. Ureteral injuries from external violence. AUA UPDATE SERIES. 2004 Jan; 23(1): 1-8.
10. Elliott SP. Prostate cancer update: selected presentations from the 2003 Annual Meeting of the WSAUA. AM J UROL REV. 2004 Feb; 2(2): 26-9.
11. Elliott SP, Yeh B, Stoller ML. Radiologic appreciation of a spontaneous splenorenal shunt. Urology. 2004 Apr;63(4):776-7. PubMed PMID: 15072902.
12. Elliott SP, Gulati M, Pasta DJ, Spitalny GM, Kane CJ, Yee R, Lue TF. Obstructive lower urinary tract symptoms correlate with erectile dysfunction. Urology. 2004 Jun;63(6):1148-52. PubMed PMID: 15183969.
13. Rahman NU, Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Self-inflicted male urethral foreign body insertion: endoscopic management and complications. BJU Int. 2004Nov;94(7):1051-3. PubMed PMID: 15541127.
14. Elliott SP, Joel AB, Meng MV, Stoller ML. Bursting strength with variousmethods of renal artery ligation and potential mechanisms of failure. J Endourol.2005 Apr;19(3):307-11. PubMed PMID: 15865519.
15. Elliott SP. Editorial comment on Merrick GS, Butler WM, Wallner KE et al. Risk factors for the development of prostate brachytherapy-related urethral strictures. J UROL. 2006 Apr; 175(4): 1381. PubMed PMID: 16516001
16. Elliott SP. Editorial comment on Raj GV, Peterson AC and Webster GD. Outcomes following erosions of the artificial urinary sphincter. J UROL 2006 Jun; 175(6): 2190. PubMed PMID: 16697836
17. Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Ureteral injuries: external and iatrogenic. Urol Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;33(1):55-66, vi. Review. PubMed PMID: 16488280.
18. Elliott SP, McAninch JW. The current role of urethrotomy in anterior urethral stricture disease. Curr Urol Rep. 2006 Sep;7(5):339-40. Review. PubMed PMID:16959172.
19. Elliott SP, McAninch JW, Chi T, Doyle SM and Master VA. Management of severe urethral complications of prostate cancer therapy. J UROL 2006 Dec; 176(6 Pt 1): 2508-13. PubMed PMID: 17085144
20. Alsikafi NF, McAninch JW, Elliott SP, Garcia M. Nonoperative management outcomes of isolated urinary extravasation following renal lacerations due to external trauma. J Urol. 2006 Dec;176(6 Pt 1):2494-7. PubMed PMID: 17085140.
21. Elliott SP, McAninch JW, Chi T, Doyle SM, Master VA. Management of severe urethral complications of prostate cancer therapy. J Urol. 2006 Dec;176(6 Pt1):2508-13. PubMed PMID: 17085144.
22. Canales BK, Fung LC, Elliott SP. Miniature intravesical urethral lengthening procedure for treatment of pediatric neurogenic urinary incontinence. J Urol.2006 Dec;176(6 Pt 1):2663-6; discussion 2666-7. PubMed PMID: 17085188.
23. Eisenberg ML, Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Preservation of lower urinary tract function in posterior urethral stenosis: selection of appropriate patients for urethral stents. J UROL. 2007 Dec;178(6):2456-60. PubMed PMID: 17937962
24. Elliott SP, Meng MV, Elkin EP, McAninch JW, Duchane J, Carroll PR; CaPSURE Investigators. Incidence of urethral stricture after primary treatment for prostate cancer: data From CaPSURE. J Urol. 2007 Aug;178(2):529-34; discussion 534. PubMed PMID: 17570425.
25. Cooperberg MR, McAninch JW, Alsikafi NF, Elliott SP. Urethral reconstruction for traumatic posterior urethral disruption: outcomes of a 25-year experience. J Urol. 2007 Nov;178(5):2006-10; discussion 2010. PubMed PMID:17869302.
26. Elliott SP, Olweny EO, McAninch JW. Renal arterial injuries: a single center analysis of management strategies and outcomes. J Urol. 2007 Dec;178(6):2451-5. PubMed PMID: 17937955.
27. Elliott SP, Meng MV, Elkin EP, McAninch JW, Duchane J, Carroll PR; CaPSURE Investigators. Incidence of urethral stricture after primary treatment for prostate cancer: data From CaPSURE. J UROL. 2007 Aug;178(2):529-34. PubMed PMID: 17570425
28. Hoffman RM, Monga M, Elliot SP, Macdonald R, Wilt TJ. Microwave thermotherapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia. COCHRANE DATABASE SYST REV. 2007 Oct 17;(4):CD004135. PubMed PMID: 17570425
29. Elliott SP. Editorial comment on Fraga GP, Borges GM, Mantovani M, Ferreira U, Laurito TL, Netto Jr NR. Penetrating ureteral trauma. INT BRAZ J UROL 2007 Mar-Apr;33(2): 150. PubMed PMID: 17488532
30. Whitson JM, McAninch JW, Elliott SP, Alsikafi NF. Long-term efficacy of distal penile circular fasciocutaneous flaps for single stage reconstruction of complex anterior urethral stricture disease. J Urol. 2008 Jun;179(6):2259-64. PubMed PMID: 18423682
31. Rapp DE, Chanduri K, Infusino G, Hoda ZA, Orvieto MA, Elliott SP, Alsikafi NF. Internet survey of management trends of urethral strictures. Urol Int.2008;80(3):287-90; discussion 290-1. PubMed PMID: 18480633..
32. Elliott SP, Eisenberg ML, McAninch JW. First-stage urethroplasty: utility in the modern era. Urology. 2008 May;71(5):889-92. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2007.11.051. Epub 2008 Feb 15. PubMed PMID: 18279942.
33. Eisenberg ML, Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Management of restenosis after urethral stent placement. J Urol. 2008 Mar;179(3):991-5. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2007.10.047. Epub 2008 Jan 18. PubMed PMID: 18206915.
34. Yu X, Elliott SP, Wilt TJ, McBean AM. Practice patterns in benign prostatic hyperplasia surgical therapy: the dramatic increase in minimally invasive technologies. J Urol. 2008 Jul;180(1):241-5; discussion 245. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2008.03.039. Epub 2008 May 21. PubMed PMID: 18499180
35. Breyer BN, McAninch JW, Elliott SP, Master VA. Minimally invasive endovascular techniques to treat acute renal hemorrhage. J Urol. 2008Jun;179(6):2248-52; discussion 2253. PubMed PMID: 18423679.
36. Elliott SP. Endoscopic ablation for benign enlargement of the prostate. BMJ. 2008 Jun 30;337:a535. PubMed PMID: 18595937.
37. Aaronson DS, Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Transcorporal artificial urinary sphincter placement for incontinence in high-risk patients after treatment of prostate cancer. Urology. 2008 Oct;72(4):825-7. PubMed PMID: 18752838.
38. Elliott SP. Editorial comment on Navai N, Erickson BA, Zhao LC, Okotie OT, Gonzalez CM. Complications following urethral reconstructive surgery: A six year experience. Int Braz J Urol 2008; 34(5): 549-601. PubMed PMID: 18986563
39. Elliott SP and Sweet RW. Contemporary surgical management of benign prostatic hyperplasia: What do recent trends imply for urology training? Curr Prostate Rep 2009; 7(1): 19-24.
40. Elliott SP, McAninch JW. Extraperitoneal bladder trauma: delayed surgical management can lead to prolonged convalescence. J Trauma. 2009 Jan; 66(1):274-5. PubMed PMID: 18349714.
41. Breyer BN, McAninch JW, Whitson JM, Eisenberg ML, Master VA, Voelzke BB, Elliott SP. Effect of obesity on urethroplasty outcome. Urology. 2009 Jun;73(6):1352-5. PubMed PMID: 19371937.
42. Elliott SP, Jarosek SL, Wilt TJ, Virnig BA. Reduction in physician reimbursement and use of hormone therapy in prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010 Dec 15;102(24):1826-34. PubMed PMID: 21131577; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3001964.
43. Elliott SP, Malaeb BS. Long-term urinary adverse effects of pelvic radiotherapy. World J Urol. 2011 Feb;29(1):35-41. PubMed PMID: 20959990; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3075494
44. Malaeb BS, Elliott SP, Lee J, Anderson DW, Timm GW. Novel artificial urinary sphincter in the canine model: the tape mechanical occlusive device. Urology.2011 Jan;77(1):211-6. PubMed PMID: 21067799; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3014379.
45. Elliott SP, Wilt TJ, Kuntz KM. Projecting the clinical benefits of adjuvant radiotherapy versus observation and selective salvage radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy: a decision analysis. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2011Sep;14(3):270-7. PubMed PMID:21691281; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3156938.
46. Elliott SP, Jarosek SL, Alanee SR, Konety BR, Dusenbery KE, Virnig BA. Three-dimensional external beam radiotherapy for prostate cancer increases the risk of hip fracture. Cancer. 2011 Oct 1;117(19):4557-65. PubMed PMID: 21412999; PubMed CentralPMCID: PMC3135749.
47. Strope SA, Elliott SP, Smith A, Wei JT, Wilt TJ, Saigal CS; Urologic Diseases in America Project. Urologist practice styles in the initial evaluation of elderly men with benign prostatic hyperplasia. Urology. 2011 Mar;77(3):535-40. PubMed PMID: 21256570; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3074578.
48. Anger JT, Buckley JC, Santucci RA, Elliott SP, Saigal CS; Urologic Diseases in America Project. Trends in stricture management among male Medicare beneficiaries: underuse of urethroplasty? Urology. 2011 Feb;77(2):481-5. PubMed PMID: 21168194; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3320109.
49. Elliott SP. The evolution of urethral reconstruction. J Urol. 2011May;185(5):1564-5. PubMedPMID: 21419432.
50. Strope SA, Elliott SP, Saigal CS, Smith A, Wilt TJ, Wei JT; Urologic Diseases in America Project. Urologist compliance with AUA best practice guidelines for benign prostatic hyperplasia in Medicare population. Urology. 2011 Jul;78(1):3-9. PubMed PMID: 21601254; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3126893.
51. Elliott SP, Jarosek SL, and Virnig BA. Changes Across Time and Geography in the Use of Prostate Radiation Technologies for Newly Diagnosed Older Cancer Patients. Types of Prostate Radiation. Data Points #16 (prepared by the University of Minnesota DEcIDE Center, under Contract No.HHSA29020100013I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. September 2011. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC095-EF. PMID: 23285489.
52. Jarosek SL, Elliott SP, Virnig BA. Proton Beam Radiotherapy in the U.S. Medicare Population: Growth in use between 2006 and 2009. Proton Beam Radiotherapy. Data Points #10 (prepared by the University of Minnesota Decide Center, under Contract No. HHSA29020100013I). Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. September 2011. AHRQ Publication No. 12-EHC005. PubMed PMID: 22649801
53. Elliott SP, Adejoro OO, Konety BR, Jarosek SL, Dusenbery KE, Virnig BA. Intensity modulated radiation therapy replaces 3-dimensional conformal radiotherapy as prostate cancer treatment. J Urol 2012 Apr;187(4):1253-8. PMID: 22335868.
54. Bellinger AS, Elliott SP, Yang L, Wei JT, Saigal CS, Smith A, Wilt TJ, Strope SA. Changes in initial expenditures for benign prostatic hyperplasia evaluation in the Medicare population: a comparison to overall Medicare inflation. Urologic Diseases in America Project. J Urol 2012 May;187(5):1739-46. PMID: 22425128.
55. Elliott SP, Johnson DP, Jarosek SL, Konety BR, Adejoro OO, Virnig BA. Bias due to missing SEER data in D'Amico risk stratification of prostate cancer. J UROL 2012 Jun;187(6):2026-31. PMID: 22498210.
56. Malaeb BS, Yu X, McBean AM, Elliott SP. National trends in surgical therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia in the United States (2000-2008). UROLOGY 2012 May;79(5):1111-6. PMID: 22546389.
57. Strope SA, Wei JT, Smith A, Wilt TJ, Saigal CS, Elliott SP. Evaluative Care Guideline Compliance Is Associated With Provision of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia Surgery. The Urologic Diseases in America Project. UROLOGY 2012 Jul;80(1):84-89. Epub 2012 May 18. PMID: 22608799.
58. Erickson BA, Voelzke BB, Myers JB, Brant WO, Broghammer JA, Smith TG 3rd, McClung CD, Alsikafi NF, Elliott SP. Practice Patterns of Recently Fellowship-trained Reconstructive Urologists. UROLOGY 2012 Oct;80(4):934-7. PMID: 22901817.
59. Hoffman RM, Monga M, Elliott SP, MacDonald R, Langsjoen J, Tacklind J, Wilt TJ. Microwave thermotherapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia. COCHRANE DATABASE SYST REV. 2012 Sep 12;9:CD004135. PMID: 22972068.
60. Weight CJ and Elliott SP. The impotent certificate of need. J UROL 2013 Jan;189(1):12-3. PMID: 23089467.
61. O'Shaughnessy MJ, Jarosek SL, Virnig BA, Konety BR, Elliott SP. Factors associated with reduction in use of neoadjuvant androgen suppression therapy before radical prostatectomy. Urology. 2013 Apr;81(4):745-51. doi:10.1016/j.urology.2012.12.044. PubMed PMID: 23465162.
62. Sewell JM, Rao A, Elliott SP. Validating a Claims-based Method for Assessing Severe Rectal and Urinary Adverse Effects of Radiotherapy. Urology. 2013Aug;82(2):335-40. PubMed PMID: 23746713.
63. Elliott SP. Long-term outcomes for men with high-risk prostate cancer treated definitively with external-beam radiotherapy with or without androgen deprivation. Cancer. 2013 Sep;119(18):3260-1. PubMed PMID: 23798319.
Understanding the severe urinary adverse effects of pelvic radiotherapy
Validating a Claims-Based Method for Assessing Severe Rectal and Urinary Adverse Effects of Radiotherapy
1. Research Scholar Grant, RSG-12-217-01–CPHPS
American Cancer Society 7/1/12 – 6/30/15 2.4 Calendar Months
$574,000 (with ICR)
Participants (Roles): Elliott SP (PI), Virnig B (Collaborator), Haitao C (Collaborator), Downs L (Consultant), Dusenbery K (Consultant), Konety BR (Consultant), Madoff R (Consultant)
“Understanding the severe urinary adverse effects of pelvic radiotherapy”
This grant uses the SEER-Medicare database to better understand the severe urinary adverse effects of pelvic radiation such as urethral stricture, urinary fistula and hemorrhagic cystitis. We will describe their long-term incidence, compare risk factors and illustrate the burden of treatment for these events.
2. Medical Education and Research Association Grant
Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare 9/1/12 – 8/31/15 0.12 Calendar Months
$34,981 (no ICR)
Participants (Roles): Elliott SP (PI), Katorski J (Co-I), Munger M (Co-I)
“Gentamycin bladder instillation”
This grant funds a randomized, placebo-controlled trial of nightly gentamycin bladder instillation for the prevention of urinary tract infection in adult Myelomeningocele patients with bladder augmentation.
1. K12, 5K12-RR023247-03 7/1/08 – 6/30/10 6.0 Calendar Months
NIH $369,000 (no ICR)
Participants (Roles): Luepker, R (PI), Elliott SP (Mentored Clinical Research Trainee), Wilt TJ (Mentor), Virnig BA (Mentor)
“The influence of financial incentives on practice patterns in the management of prostate cancer with androgen suppression therapy”
This is a training grant with the goal of obtaining a Master’s Degree in Health Policy and pursuing research in the influence of financial incentives on treatment trends, specifically hormone suppression therapy and radiotherapy in prostate cancer.
2. NIH Loan Repayment Program 8/7/08 – 8/7/10
Competitive award re-paying of 50% of medical school loan debt over 2 years
Participants: Elliott SP (Role N/A)
3. 1R21DK081055-01 9/1/09 – 8/31/11 1.2 Calendar Months
NIH/NIDDK $395,775 (with ICR)
Participants (Roles): McBean AM (PI), Elliott SP (Co-Investigator), Wilt TJ (Co-Investigator)
“Measuring the Impact of the Rapid Expansion of MIST Procedures for BPH”
The major goal is to use the Medicare database to examine the financial impact of the rapid expansion of minimally invasive surgical therapy for enlarged prostate. We will examine trends in medication use and complications of the procedures.
4. AUAER/Pfizer Visiting Professorship in Urology 2008 – 2009
Participants (Roles): Elliott SP (PI)
Obtained funding to bring Dr. Mark Litwin as visiting professor for 2 days to the University Of Minnesota Department Of Urology.
Urethral stricture disease, Urinary diversion including Mitrofanoff creation/revision and bladder augmentation, Urinary fistula repair, Peyronie's disease, Erectile dysfunction, Ureteral strictures, Male stress urinary incontinence, Reconstruction of male external genitalia, surgical reconstruction of genital lymphedema, Paget’s disease, Penile cancer or trapped penis, Genitourinary cancer
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX
University of California San Francisco (Urology)
University of California San Francisco (Genitourinary Trauma and Reconstruction)
2001 Alpha Omega Alpha, national medical honors society; 2001 Resident Teaching Award, nominated by graduating UCSF medical school class; 2002 3rd Place in Clinical Research, 2002 Northern California Urological Society Resident Research Competition; 2002 2nd Place in Poster Competition, 2002 Meeting of the Western Section of the American Urological Association; 2004 3rd Place in Poster Competition, 2004 Meeting of the Western Section of the American Urological Association; 2010 1st Place in Poster Competition, Health Services Research Session, 2010 Meeting of the Association for Clinical Research Training, Minnesota Monthly Best Doctors for Women, 2014