Dr. Weight specializes in the surgical treatment of urologic cancers including prostate, bladder, kidney, adrenal, testis and penile cancer. He performs open, endoscopic, laparoscopic, robotic (da Vinci) and retroperineosocpic surgery. His surgical approach to cancer is dictated by the characteristics of the tumor and patient preferences.
Dr. Weight completed his residency training at Cleveland Clinic where he received several awards including the George and Grace Crile Traveling Fellowship Award, the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award and the ASCO Genitourinary Cancer Symposium Merit Award. Dr. Weight then completed a fellowship in Urologic Oncology at Mayo Clinic, where he also completed a Masters degree in Clinical and Translational Research from Mayo Graduate School and was awarded the Mayo Fellows Association Humanitarian Award.
Dr. Weight believes that medical research is a key component to offering excellent patient care. His research is focused on improving patient outcomes. He is an author of more than 45 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters and has been invited to speak at regional, national and international meetings. For his contributions to the understanding of urologic cancers, Dr. Weight has been given awards by the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the American Urological Association, and the Ohio Urologic Society.
- Nephron-sparing surgery
- Medical decision-making
- 2011 Best Poster of Session, North Central Section of the American Urologic Association
- 2010 American Society of Clinical Oncology Genitourinary Cancer Symposium Merit Award
- 2009 Society of Laproendoscopic Surgeons Resident Achievement Award
- 2009 Research Essay 2nd Prize, Ohio Urologic Society Meeting
- 2011 Mayo Fellows Association Humanitarian Award for the creation of a Wellness Program for Mayo Clinic Trainees
- 2011 American Society of Clinical Oncology Genitourinary Cancer Symposium Merit Award
- 2010 Cleveland Clinic George and Grace Crile Traveling Fellowship Award
1. “The Impact of Squamous and Glandular Differentiation on Survival Following Radical Cystectomy For Urothelial Carcinoma” Simon P. Kim, Igor Frank, John C. Cheville, R. Houston Thompson, Christopher J. Weight, Prabin Thapa, and Stephen A. Boorjian (In Press J Urology)
2. “The Relationship Of Postoperative Complications With In-Hospital Outcomes And Costs After Renal Surgery For Kidney Cancer” Simon P. Kim, Christopher J Weight, Bradley C. Leibovich, Nathan D. Shippee, Nilay D. Shah, Bijan Borah, Stephen A. Boorjian, R. Houston Thompson (In Press BJU International)
3. “Practice-Setting and Surgeon Characteristics Heavily Influence the Decision to Perform Partial Nephrectomy among AUA Surgeons” Christopher J. Weight, Paul L. Crispen, Rodney H. Breau, Simon P. Kim, Christine M. Lohse, Stephen A. Boorjian, R. Houston Thompson, Bradley C. Leibovich (In Press BJU International)
4. “The Role of Ischemia, or the Lack Thereof, During Partial Nephrectomy.” Weight CJ, Thompson RH. Eur Urol. 2012 Jan;61(1):75-6
5. “The Emerging Role of Lymphadenectomy in Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma” Christopher J. Weight, Matthew T. Gettman. Urol Clin North Am. 2011 Nov;38(4):429-37.
6. “Risk Factors and Outcomes of Urethral Recurrence Following Radical Cystectomy.” Boorjian SA, Kim SP, Weight CJ, Cheville JC, Thapa P, Frank I. Eur Urol. 2011 Dec;60(6):1266-72.
7. “The Relationship Of The Intensity Of Post-Treatment PSA Surveillance And Prostate Cancer Outcomes: Results From A Population-Based Cohort” Mohammed Nabhan, Simon P. Kim, Nilay D. Shah, Stephanie M. Bagniewski, Qian Shi, R. Jeffrey Karnes, Christopher J. Weight, Manish Kohli, Jon C. Tilburt. (In Press Mayo Clinic Proceedings)
8. “Partial Nephrectomy does not Compromise Survival in Patients with Pathological Upstaging to pT2/pT3 or High Grade renal tumors compared to Radical Nephrectomy” Christopher J. Weight, Casey Lythgoe, Raman Unnikrishnan, Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Amr F. Fergany. Urology. 2011 May;77(5):1142-6.
9. “A Prospective Phase II Controlled Study of Neoadjuvant Exisulind Therapy Prior to Radical Prostatecotmy: Effect on Apoptosis” Christopher J. Weight, Simon P. Kim, R. Jeffery Karnes, John C. Cheville, Eric Bergstralh, Bradley C. Leibovich. (In Press Urology)
10. “Independent Validation Of The 2010 American Joint Committee On Cancer TNM Classification For Renal Cell Carcinoma: Results From A Large, Single Institution Cohort” Simon P Kim, Angela Alt, Christopher J Weight, Robert H Thompson, Christine M Lohse, John C Cheville, Stephen A Boorjian, Bradley C Leibovich. J Urol. 2011 Jun;185(6):2035-9.
11. “Outcomes and clinicopathologic variables associated with late recurrence after nephrectomy for localized renal cell carcinoma.” Simon P. Kim, Christopher J. Weight, Bradley C. Leibovich, R. Houston Thompson, Brian A. Costello, John C. Cheville, Christine M. Lohse, Stephen A. Boorjian. Urology. 2011 Nov;78(5):1101-6.
12. “Contemporary trends in nephrectomy for renal cell carcinoma in the United States: results from a population based cohort.” Simon P. Kim, MD, Nilay D. Shah, Christopher J. Weight, R. Houston Thompson, Stephen A. Boorjian, James P. Moriarty, Nathan Shippee, Bradley C. Leibovich. J Urol. 2011 Nov;186(5):1779-85
13. “Routine Adrenalectomy in Patients with Locally Advanced Renal Cell Cancer Does Not Offer Oncologic Benefit and Places a Significant Portion at Risk for an Asynchronous Metastasis in a Solitary Adrenal Gland” Christopher J Weight, Simon P Kim, Robert H Thompson, Christine M Lohse, John C Cheville, Stephen A Boorjian, Bradley C Leibovich. European Urology Eur Urol. 2011 Sep;60(3):458-64.
14. “A Multidisciplinary Evaluation of Inter-reviewer Agreement of the Nephrometery Score and the Prediction of Long Term Outcomes” Christopher J. Weight, Thomas D. Atwell, Robert T Fazzio, Simon P Kim, McCabe Kenney, Christine M Lohse, Stephen A Boorjian, Bradley C. Leibovich, R Houston Thompson J. Urol, 2011 Oct;186(4):1223-8
15. “Renal functional outcomes after partial nephrectomy with extended ischemic intervals are better than after radical nephrectomy.” Lane BR, Fergany AF, Weight CJ, Campbell SC. J Urol. 2010 Oct;184(4):1286-90
16. “Active treatment of localized renal tumors may not impact overall survival in patients aged 75 years or older.” Lane BR, Abouassaly R, Gao T, Weight CJ, Hernandez AV, Larson BT, Kaouk JH, Gill IS, Campbell SC. Cancer. 2010 Jul 1;116(13):3119-26
17. “Performance of the Chronic Kidney Disease-Epidemiology Study Equations for Estimating Glomerular Filtration Rate Before and After Nephrectomy.” Lane BR, Demirjian S, Weight CJ, Larson BT, Poggio ED, Campbell SC. J Urol. 2010 Mar;183(3):896-901.
18. “Partial nephrectomy is associated with improved overall survival compared to radical nephrectomy in patients with unanticipated benign renal tumours.” Weight CJ, Lieser G, Larson BT, Gao T, Lane BR, Campbell SC, Gill IS, Novick AC, Fergany AF. Eur Urol. 2010 Aug;58(2):293-8.
19. “The human retrovirus XMRV in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome.” Silverman RH, Weight CJ, Nguyen C, Klein EA. Nat Rev Urol. 2010 Jul;7(7):392-402.
20. “Elective Partial Nephrectomy in Patients with Clinical T1b Renal Tumors is Associated with Improved Overall Survival” Christopher J. Weight, Benjamin T. Larson, Tianming Gao, Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Jihad H. Kaouk, Eric A. Klein, Andrew C. Novick, Amr F. Fergany. Urology. 2010 Sep;76(3):631-7.
21. “Nephrectomy Induced Chronic Renal Insufficiency is Associated with Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Death and Death from Any Cause in Patients with Localized Renal Masses” Christopher J. Weight, Benjamin T. Larson, Amr F. Fergany, Tianming Gao, Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Jihad H. Kaouk, Inderbir S. Gill, Eric A. Klein, Andrew C. Novick. J Urol. 2010 Apr;183(4):1317-23.
22. “Avagard hand antisepsis vs. traditional scrub in 3600 pediatric urologic procedures.” Weight CJ, Lee MC, Palmer JS. Urology. 2010 Jul;76(1):15-7.
23. “Management of Urological Complications of Renal Transplantation.” Weight CJ, Shoskes DA. AUA Update Series Lesson 16 29:154-160, 2010
24. “Elective Partial Nephrectomy in Patients with Clinical T1b Renal Tumors is Associated with Improved Overall Survival” Christopher J. Weight, Benjamin T. Larson, Tianming Gao, Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Jihad H. Kaouk, Eric A. Klein, Andrew C. Novick, Amr F. Fergany. Manuscript in Press at Urology
25. “Nephrectomy Induced Chronic Renal Insufficiency is Associated with Increased Risk of Cardiovascular Death and Death from Any Cause in Patients with Localized Renal Masses” Christopher J. Weight, Benjamin T. Larson, Amr F. Fergany, Tianming Gao, Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Jihad H. Kaouk, Inderbir S. Gill, Eric A. Klein, Andrew C. Novick. J Urol. 2010 Apr;183(4):1317-23.
26. “Is Nephrectomy Induced Renal Insufficiency Really that Bad?” Editorial comments: Christopher J. Weight. Urology. 2009 Nov;74(5):1068-9.
27. “Laparoscopic-assisted Ileal Ureter: Technique, Outcomes, And Comparison To The Open Procedure” Robert J Stein, Burak Turna, Neil S Patel, Christopher J Weight, Mike M Nguyen, Gaurang Shah, Monish Aron, Amr F Fergany, Inderbir S Gill, Mihir M Desai. J Urol. 2009 Sep;182(3):1032-9.
28. Editorial Comment regarding the Article: “Decreasing Utilization of LHRH-agonists in the United States is Independent of Reimbursement Changes: a Medicare and Veterans Health Administration Claims Analysis.” Jones, JS and Weight, CJ. J Urol 2009 May 16
29. “Fibrils of Prostatic Acid Phosphatase Fragments Boost Infections by XMRV, a Human Retrovirus Associated with Prostate Cancer.” Hong S, Klein EA, Das Gupta J, Hanke K, Weight CJ, Nguyen C, Gaughan C, Kim KA, Bannert N, Kirchhoff F, Munch J, Silverman RH. J Virol. 2009 Jul;83(14):6995-7003
30. “Laparoscopic radical versus partial nephrectomy for tumors >4 cm: intermediate-term oncologic and functional outcomes.” Simmons MN, Weight CJ, Gill IS. Urology. 2009 May;73(5):1077-82; discussion 1082.
31. “Management of the Adrenal Gland During Partial Nephrectomy.” Lane BR, Tiong HY, Campbell SC, Fergany AF, Weight CJ, Larson BT, Novick AC, Flechner SM. J Urol. 2009 Jun;181(6):2430-6; discussion 2436-7.
32. “Limited Down-Staging with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Invasive Transitional Cell Cancer in a Contemporary Cohort” Christopher J. Weight, Amr Fergany, Steven Campbell, Michael Gong, James Ulchaker, Eric Klein, Robert Dreicer, Jorge Garcia, Andrew Stephenson. Cancer. 2009 Feb 15;115(4):792-9.
33. “Factors Predicting Renal Functional Outcome After Partial Nephrectomy.” Brian R Lane, Denise C Babineau, Emilio D Poggio, Christopher J Weight, Benjamin T Larson, Inderbir S Gill, Andrew C Novick. J Urol. 2008 Dec;180(6):2363-8; discussion 2368-9.
34. “Novel Approaches to Locally Advanced Bladder Cancer: Neoadjuvant Targeted Therapy” Campbell SC, Weight CJ, Stevenson AJ, Gong MC, Fergany AF, Klein EA, Dreicer R and Garcia JA. Urology News: A Physician Journal 2008 17.
35. “The Impact of Minimally Invasive Techniques on Open Surgical Partial Nephrectomy: A Single Institutional Experience over 10 Years.” Christopher Weight, Amr Fergany, Paul Gunn, Brian Lane, Andrew Novick. J Urol. 2008 Jul;180(1):84-8.
36. “Adult Cystic Nephroma and Mixed Epithelial and Stromal tumor of the Kidney: Clinical, Raiographic, and Patholgic Characteristics.” Brian R. Lane, Steven C. Campbell, Erick M. Remer, Amr F. Fergany, Stephen B. Williams, Andrew C. Novick, Christopher J. Weight, Cristina Magi-Galluzi, Ming Zhou. Urology. 2008 Jun;71(6):1142-8.
37. “Androgen Deprivation Falls As Orchiectomy Rates Rise After Changes In Reimbursement In The US Medicare Population.” Christopher J. Weight, Eric A. Klein, J. Stephen Jones. Cancer 2008 May 15;112(10):2195-201.
38. “Correlation of Radiographic Imaging after Renal Tumor Ablation.” Christopher J. Weight, Jihad H. Kaouk, Nicholas J. Hegarty, Brian R. Lane, Erik Remer, Charles M O’Malley, Inderbir S. Gill, Andrew C. Novick. J Urol. 2008 Apr;179(4):1277-81
39. “Limited Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection Does Not Improve Biochemical Relapse Free Survival at 10 Years After Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with low Risk Prostate Cancer. Weight CJ, Reuther AM, Gunn PW, Zippe CR, Dhar NB, Klein EA. Urology. 2008 Jan;71(1):141-5.
40. “Laparoscopic Ileal Ureteral Replacement” Stein RJ, Fergany AF, Turna B, Weight CJ, Desai, MM. Urology News: A Physician Journal. 2007-08: 16:30-1.
41. “Limited Pelvic Lymph Node Dissection Does Not Improve Biochemical Relapse Free Survival at 10 Years After Radical Prostatectomy in Patients with low Risk Prostate Cancer.” Weight CJ, Reuther AM, Zippe CR, Klein EA. Urology News: A Physician Journal. 2007-08: 16::14-5.
42. “Small Renal Masses: Predicting Benign vs. Malignant.” Campbell SC, Lane BR, Weight CJ, Babineau D, Kattan MW, Gill IS, Novick AC. Urology News: A Physician Journal. 2007-08: 16: 33.
43. “Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy for Select Central Tumors: Omitting the Bolster.” Christopher J. Weight, Brian R. Lane, Inderbir S. Gill. BJU Int. 2007 Aug;100(2):375-8.
44. “A Preoperative Prognostic Nomogram for Solid Enhancing Renal Tumors 7 cm or Less Amenable to Partial Nephrectomy.” Lane BR, Babineau D, Kattan MW, Novick AC, Gill IS, Zhou M, Weight CJ, Campbell SC. J Urol. 2007 Aug;178(2):429-34
45. “Comparison of 1,800 laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomies for single renal tumors.” Gill IS, Kavoussi LR, Lane BR, Blute ML, Babineau D, Colombo JR Jr, Frank I, Permpongkosol S, Weight CJ, Kaouk JH, Kattan MW, Novick AC. J Urol. 2007 Jul;178(1):41-6.
46. “A single system ectopic ureter to the rectum subtending a solitary kidney and bladder agenesis in a newborn male.” Christopher J. Weight, Deepa Chand, Jonathan H. Ross. Urology. 2006 Dec;68(6):1344.e1-3
47. “Perineural Invasion on Prostate Needle Biopsy Does Not Predict Biochemical Failure Following Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer.” Christopher J. Weight, Jay P. Ciezki, Chandana A. Reddy, Ming Zhou, Eric A. Klein. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics. 2006 Jun 1;65(2):347-50.
48. “Thyroxine Malabsorption in a patient with Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease” Chamberland, D, Weight, CJ, Rasmussen, M, and Abraham, D. Endocrine Practice. 2005 May/June. 11(3):203-4
49. “Posterior capsule opacification in rabbit eyes implanted with 1-piece and 3-piece hydrophobic acrylic intraocular lenses.” Werner L, Mamalis N, Izak AM, Pandey SK, Davis BL, Nilson CD, Weight CJ, Apple DJ. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2005 Apr;31(4):805-11.
50. “Dominant optic atrophy, sensorineural hearing loss, ptosis, and ophthalmoplegia: a syndrome caused by a missense mutation in OPA1.” Payne M, Yang Z, Katz BJ, Warner JE, Weight CJ, Zhao Y, Pearson ED, Treft RL, Hillman T, Kennedy RJ, Meire FM, Zhang K. Am J Ophthalmol. 2004 Nov;138(5):749-55.
51. “Posterior capsule opacification in rabbit eyes implanted with hydrophilic acrylic intraocular lenses with enhanced square edge.” Werner L, Mamalis N, Pandey SK, Izak AM, Nilson CD, Davis BL, Weight CJ, Apple DJ. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2004 Nov;30(11):2403-9.
52. “Biochemical failure in men following radical retropubic prostatectomy: impact of surgical margin status and location.” Pettus JA, Weight CJ, Thompson CJ, Middleton RG, Stephenson RA. J Urol. 2004 Jul;172(1):129-32.
- Adrenal Tumors
- Bladder Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- Prostate Cancer
- Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery
- Testis Cancer
University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN (Urologic Oncology)