Dr. Kristin Chrouser is experienced in treating patients with a variety of urologic conditions, including stones, incontinence, BPH, neurogenic bladder, erectile dysfunction, and urologic cancers. She is particularly interested in reconstruction of the urethra after damage by stricture disease or vesicovaginal fistulae. Her research focuses on developing innovative ways to insure high quality, efficient, and safe surgical services both in developing nations with limited resources as well as here at home. She provides technical support for organizations and governments providing male circumcision services for HIV prevention in sub-Saharan Africa and also volunteers her reconstructive skills in underserved nations where many patients have no access to surgery for strictures and fistulas.
1. Edgil D, Stankard P, Forsythe S, Rech D, Chrouser K, Tigistu Adamu, Sameer Sakallah, Anne Goldzier Thomas, Jennifer Albertini, David Stanton, Kim Eva Dickson, Emmanuel Njeuhmeli “Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision: Logistics, Commodities, and Waste Management Requirements for Scale-Up of Services.PLoS Med 8(11): 2011
2. Osen H, Choo, S, Perry, H, Abantanga F, McCord C, Chrouser K, Abdullah F, Chang, DC, "Validation of the WHO tool for situational analysis to assess emergency and essential surgical care at district hospitals in Ghana" World Journal of Surgery. 35(3):500-4. 2011
3. Chrouser, K, Ajiboye, O, Oyetunji, T, Chang, DC “Priapism in the United States: The Changing Role of Sickle Cell Disease” American Journal of Surgery 201(4):468-74. 2011
4. Rhee D, Zhang Y, Chang DC, Arnold M, Salazar-Osuna JH, Chrouser, K., Paul M. Colombani, PM, Abdullah, F “Population-based Comparison of Open versus Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication in Children: Application of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Pediatric Quality Indicators.” Journal of Pediatric Surgery 46 (4): 648-54. 2011
5. Chang DC, Shiozawa A, Nguyen LL, Chrouser KL, Perler BA, Freischlag JA, Colombani PM, Abdullah F. “Cost of inpatient care and its association with hospital competition.” Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 212(1):12-9. 2011
6. Camp M, Chang DC, Zhang Y, Chrouser K, Colombani PM, Abdullah F.
“Risk Factors and Outcomes for Foreign Body Left During A Procedure: Analysis of 413 Incidents after 1,946,831 Operations in Children” Archives of Surgery, 145 (11) 1085-90. 2010.
7. Siram SM, Gerald SZ, Greene WR, Hughes K, Oyetunji TA, Chrouser K, Cornwell EE. Chang DC. “Ureteral trauma: patterns and mechanisms of injury of an uncommon condition. American Journal of Surgery 199 (4). 566-70. 2010.
8. Camp M, Chang DC, Zhang Y, Chrouser K, Colombani PM, Abdullah F. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) pediatric quality indicators (PDIs): accidental puncture or laceration during surgery in children. Annals of Surgery. 251 (1). 165-70. 2010
9. Abdullah F, Shang Y, Lardaro T, Black M, Colombani PM, Chrouser K, Pronovost PJ, Chang, DC. Analysis of 23 million US hospitalizations: uninsured children have higher all-cause in-hospital mortality. Journal of Public Health . 2009
10. Senchenkov A, Knoetgen J, Chrouser K, and Nehra A. Application of vacuum-assisted closure dressing in penile skin graft reconstruction. Urology. 67(2): 416-9. 2006.
11. Chrouser, K, Leibovich B, Bergstralh E, Zincke H, and Blute M, Bladder cancer risk following primary and adjuvant external beam radiation for prostate cancer. Journal of Urology 174 (1), 107, 2005
12. Chrouser K, Leibovich, B, Sweat S, Larson D, Davis B, Tran N, Zincke H, Blute, M. Urinary fistulas following external radiation or permanent brachytherapy for the treatment of prostate cancer. Journal of Urology. 173 (6). 1953-7. 2005.
13. Chrouser K, Sim F, Lieber, M. Intravascular extension of an osteosarcoma of the pubic bone into the periprostateic venous plexus. Urology. 65(5): 1001. 2005
14. Larson DW, Chrouser K, Young-Fadok T, and Nelson H. Rectal complications after modern radiation for prostate cancer: a colorectal surgical challenge. J Gastrointest Surg, 9(4): 461-6. 2005
15. Chrouser, KL and Lieber, MM Extended and Saturation Needle Biopsy for the Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer. Current Urology Reports 5:226-30. 2004
16. Chrouser K, Vandersteen D, Crocker J, Reinberg Y. Nerve Injury after laparoscopic varicocelectomy. Journal of Urology. 172(2): 691-3. 2004.
17. Chrouser KL, Fick F, Goel A, Itano NB, Sweat SD, Lightner DJ: Carbon Coated Zirconium Beads in beta-Glucan Gel and Bovine Glutaraldehyde Cross-Linked Collagen Injections for Intrinsic Sphincter Deficiency: Continence and Satisfaction after Extended Follow-up. Journal of Urology 171(3):1152-1155. 2004.
18. Lightner DJ, Itano NB Sweat SD, Chrouser KL, Fick F: Injectable Agents: Present and Future. Current Urology Reports 3:408-413, 2002
19. Alpers L. Chrouser K. Halabi S. Moeti T. Reingold A. Binkin N. Kenyon T. Validation of the surveillance system for tuberculosis in Botswana. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Disease. 4(8):737-43, 2000.
Epidemiology of obstetric fistulas in Ghana and Tanzania
Identifying barriers to accessing care for obstetric fistula in Ghana and Tanzania
Impact of urologic case mix on patient outcomes
Voluntary medical male circumcision for HIV prevention—adult device development
Mayo Medical School
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
International Urology/Reconstruction - International Volunteers in Urology