Billing Policies

On campus at University of Minnesota Medical Center, most clinics are owned by Fairview, but staffed and managed by UMPhysicians. In most cases, you will get two bills, one for facilities, nursing and equipment from Fairview, and one for the professional services provided by your doctor and medical team from UMPhysicians.

What are my out-of-pocket costs?

Most insurance carriers classify clinic services that are provided in a hospital-owned facility as “outpatient hospital visits”. Depending on your health insurance benefits plan, this may result in increased out-of-pocket costs, either through an increased co-pay, co-insurance, or deductible amount. To find out more about potential out-of-pocket costs and for a complete list of clinics and how they bill, please click (link to “About your visit) here.

  • A copy of your current medical insurance card is required at each visit.
  • Co-payments are due at the time of your visit.
  • UMPhysicians employs a staff of highly trained financial counselors who provide assistance to patients with questions about cost and coverage, or have insufficient or no insurance coverage (self-pay) to pay for their care.
  • Our counselors are available to help answer questions. To reach them, please call 612-626-0959.

Explanation of Comprehensive Epilepsy Care to Insurers

Usual, Customary and Reasonable (UC&R) is a term used by insurance companies to determine fees for services. A few insurance companies have reimbursement tables based on statistical analysis that fail to distinguish between general neurological care and specialized care for epilepsy. In the case that provider payments are inadequate for the service rendered, MINCEP will issue an appeal of the UC&R amount.
We cannot predict if the insurer will increase payment after the appeal. As the patient, you are responsible for paying the full balance of the account during the appeal process. We will credit you for payments made by the insurer and refund any overpayments that are due you if the appeal process is successful. It is not uncommon for the appeal process to take some time to resolve.

Self-Pay, Workers Compensation and Automobile Insurance

If you do not have insurance coverage or are disputing a worker's compensation or an automobile accident claim (for example you have not been referred directly by your worker's compensation or automobile carrier), you are considered self-pay. Payment is due the day services are provided.

Contact the Billing Office

Contact the Business Office for all your questions regarding account charges and balances at (612) 672-7422.


Central Scheduling: 612.672.7422

Provider Referrals: 612.672.7000

Administrative Offices: 612.884.0600

©2014 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved.